[Wine] Re: Can I Install a scanner in wine

dimesio wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Dec 6 17:51:24 CST 2011

Emegra wrote:
> I have just installed Wine in order to use a couple of programs i can't find Linux alternatives for and was wondering if it possible to install a scanner in Wine, I have a Xerox 4800 flatbed scanner which has no Linux driver available and is the only piece of hardware i can't get to run in Linux, I have the Windows installation disk which includes scanning software, any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Wine's TWAIN forwards calls to SANE, so if there's no SANE driver for your scanner, it probably won't work in Wine. I say "probably," because a couple of years ago someone did report getting a network (not USB) scanner to work with its bundled Windows software by using native twain.dll. That's unlikely to work with a USB scanner, but it may be worth a shot before going out and buying a new scanner that does have a working SANE driver.