[Wine] Stick on installation: winecfg not found

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 13 19:59:59 CST 2011

On 2/13/11 6:27 PM, Wiso wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I followed the installation instruction step by step with the wine 1.3.13 package. I stick at point 3.1 user guide: using winecfg. If I input /usr/local/bin/winecfg or only winecfg in the wine-1.3.13 directory, the error message -bash: winecfg: command not found appears.
>
> There is a directory winecfg under wine-1.3.13/programs/ but no executable files.
>
> The wine package is installed under /applications/wine-1.3.13
> The steps I did after downloading the package, unzip it and copy it in the application directory were
>
> ./configure
> make depend
> make
>    ends with:
>    ld: symbol(s) not found
>    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>    winegcc: gcc failed
>    make[1]: *** [mmdevapi.dll.so] Error 2
>    make: *** [dlls/mmdevapi] Error 2

There should be much more than this.

Also, building Wine is MUCH more than just unzipping the tar.gz file and
running a configure.  There are about 20 dependencies for building it.
I recommend using either MacPorts or Fink to build it.  Ryan Woodshall
also build a script that will download/unpack/configure/build all of the
current dependencies for Wine.  This is the script I'm currently using.
Be forwarned that building Wine will take about two hours and took about
that amount of time on my shiny new MacBookPro.

James McKenzie