[Wine] Current best AMD processor for running mainstream games?

pin-no-err wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Feb 24 20:28:57 CST 2011

Hi all,

I want to buy a processor that will be good for gaming in Wine in FreeBSD. I see that many game engines are starting to take advantage of multi-core systems, however it appears that multi-threaded applications are not distributed properly across multiple cores (Ex: Starcraft II - http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=20882 ). So I'm not sure if I should aim for single-core (Athlon, Sempron, Opteron?) or multi-core (Phenom 4-core, 6-core?). What would you fine folks recommend?

Many thanks,