[Wine] Unlocking Windows-LOCKED HDD

rastaman wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Jul 1 16:15:22 CDT 2011

Hi everyone,

I would like to ask you, whether is there a way to unlock a locked HDD (WD SmartWare) under Wine.

Under Windows it should be requesting the set password after it is connected (Autorun?). Under Linux (Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS 32-bit, running as Live CD) this cannot be achieved.

I am trying to run "autorun.inf" and "Unlock.exe" manually ("Open with Wine Windows Program Loader"), but Wine replies: "Application has encountered an unexpected error and is now exiting".

I also tried to run "sudo chown..." and "sudo chmod...", but the system replied: "Read-only file system" (that is UDF, by the way).

I also wanted to create a new partition, hoping that I could write into that one, but GParted could not even see it.

The solution is to find a Windows PC and unlock it (I know the password, of course), but I have none available at the moment.

Would anybody help?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards