[Wine] Re: Windows program installation with Wine

dimesio wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Jul 2 15:21:00 CDT 2011

crow_se wrote:

> I assume that when installing Windows programs (Including anything else that is necessary, eg. from Winetricks) then everything is indeed within .Wine with no changes at all outside this folder unless, possibly, wineprefix is used. Am I correct ?
> In this case, if a copy of .Wine is made before installation of this new program, then replacing the new .Wine with the copy will remove all
> traces of the program from the system ?

No. Menu entries and icons are stored in various subdirectories of ~/.local/share and ~/.config/menus, and have to be removed manually. http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-8a17a13a8a4cda9e12e24a1ad4e1b1aaf043d581

In addition, some apps create folders outside the wineprefix if you don't delete the link to z:, and they, too, have to be deleted.

Note also that winetricks by default installs games and apps to their own wineprefixes in ~/.local/share/wineprefixes, not to ~/.wine.