[Wine] printing problem from a program with wine

hopper wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Jul 7 14:09:41 CDT 2011

i'm trying to set up a customer who has two printers attached to their computer
one is some sort of okidata color laser printer, which seems to work fine
the other one is a brother HL-4040CDN, which prints fine from a Linux based application such as open office.

 when i try to print from a program in wine, however, I can't for the life of me get it to print properly to legal sized paper, it doesn't complain about paper size or anything, it simply crops the print size to that of letter sized paper even though I tell it the paper size is Legal.

I have tried setting the default paper size on the printer's firmware settings, I have tried setting the paper size in cups both through the printer preferences applet and the web interface, i have tried telling the program to print to legal paper and the only thing i can affect is which end of the paper it prints to, i have even tried different drivers for CUPS, i'm not sure if the problem is wine, the program, the printer, or how wine talks to the specific printer via cups (the other printer prints fine)

i am using ubuntu 10.04 or 10.10

the software in question is Funeral Data Manager by Mindvision
any ideas?