[Wine] Re: Old game and CD support

SpawnHappyJake wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Jul 16 14:03:14 CDT 2011

Ah! You summoned me! You are_not_ emulating a cd drive. I thoroughly explained this elsewhere, so here's a link:

http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?p=63474&highlight=#63474

You need Cdemu. You can install it and gCDemu through Synaptic.
Please read my posts in the above link.
After you install CdEmu and gCDemu and restart, right-click your panel, say "add to panel" and chose "gCDEmu". At least that's how it works with Gnome on Linux.

You can click the emu bird on your panel and use the popup menu to select an image to mount with actual emulation.

Remember, simply displaying the contents of an iso in a folder _does_not_ magically produce hardware. The kernel lying and saying there is extra hardware _does_ magically produce hardware. In order to actually emulate an optical drive, there has to be a hardware name for the emulated drive, it must obey SCSI commands, appear to be attached to a controller which itself has a hardware name, the optical drive needs to look like it has a vendor and a firmware version, and it needs to report it's abilities. Simply mounting an iso doesn't do that. CDemu does
Cheers,
Jake