[Wine] Big Problem! Every thing has been deleted from home Folder

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Wed Jun 1 03:00:16 CDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-05-31 at 23:41 -0500, rucker222 wrote:
> Well thanks again to everyone who have helped me up to now, I guess I
> will be back once I have a Linux operating system thats working for me
> to reinstall Wine onto.

Before you do a straight install, read this:

http://www.libelle-systems.com/free/linux/easier_upgrades.html

This tells you how to set up the /home directory structure as a separate
partition and why you should do so.

This is my description of how and why I always set my Linux systems up
this way. There's more detail than you need right now, but skimming
through it will show you how to make subsequent Linux installs and
upgrades very much easier.

And, if you haven't done so before, get in the habit of making backups.
Portable USB disks are cheap for the peace of mind they provide, so get
one and use it to make regular offline backups at least weekly. If you
use rsync, a backup can be made in as little as 15 minutes. I'm thinking
I should review and publish the scripts I use for backups, so watch the
http://www.libelle-systems.com/free/ space.

Martin