[Wine] Re: Help, please!!! was: Documents and Settings

SpawnHappyJake wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Jun 30 23:12:48 CDT 2011

Here's a quote from the AppDB:
> I was able to get registered by using regedit and editing the QuickbooksRegistration/9.0 keys to match the keys exactly to the Windows machines (GroupNumber, QAMode, RegistrationNumber, VersionNumber).

Have you tried copying these activation files over that you mentioned? You sound like you know a lot about it, so...have you tried copying the activation files over? What of the registry keys mentioned in the AppDB the above quote points at?

If it turns out to not be that simple, then let me reuse one of my replies: http://pastebin.com/3zq1r9pF

I ought to go in an edit it a little bit because since then I HAVE used WhatChanged and it outputs the changed stuff to a directory rather than giving you a list of what changed in a text file like RegShot does for registry changes.

Another important thing to mention is that WhatChanged doesn't let you save a snapshot to a file, rather you must leave it running until you want to make the next shot to compare them. You can't load and compare two snapshot files like with RegShot.

I would recommend taking a shot with BOTH RegShot and WhatChanged, THEN activate, then take another shot with BOTH RegShot and WhatChanged.

People have made bash scripts to compare directories as well.

As goose-chaseesque as it sounds, the method did get The Witcher 2 activated in WINE (http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t=12248&highlight=), which turned out to be unnecessary because the owners released a patch that took the DRM off. It's okay to talk about DRM removal here when it's done by the owners of the game. Other than that, it's strictly forbidden. Every time someone opens a new thread asking how to remove DRM, a moderator swoops in and closes the thread, so don't do it. Example: http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t=12613

What I am proposing is to MOVE activation from a virtual machine to WINE. NOT hack/bypass it. It still requires legal, normal activation in the virtual machine.

Cheers,
Jake