[Wine] Issue with opening NoX thanks to OpenGL. (on a VPS)

superjack wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue May 31 10:39:43 CDT 2011

So we got an Ubuntu 10.10 VPS, and go there with SSH putty, working with Xming as X server.

This is what we did so far, to host a dedicated nox server.

Code:

apt-get update
sudo apt-get install wine
sudo apt-get install xorg
wget *noxinstall url*
unzip noxinstall.zip
wine NoxInstall.exe (an installer and we put it in /root/Nox/)

Wine wouldn't recognice a CD, so a crack gets installed automaticly.
There's 3 exe's;
GAME.EXE --Main game file
Nox.exe --Some sort of shortcut made by original makers..but GAME.exe should be opened.
Nox1.2bNoCdL.exe --The crack.
Now on opening, I get this error:

err:winediag:X11DRV_WineGL_InitOpenglInfo The Mesa OpenGL driver is using software rendering, most likely your OpenGL drivers haven't been installed correctly
fixme:d3d_caps:wined3d_guess_card No card selector available for GL vendor 4 and card vendor 0000.
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33ef08,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:d3d_caps:wined3d_guess_card No card selector available for GL vendor 4 and card vendor 0000.
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33f188,0x00000000), stub!
err:x11settings:X11DRV_ChangeDisplaySettingsEx No matching mode found 640x480x16 @0! (XRandR)

Some info about nox's engine,
Citate:

Nox uses an custom, isometric-based 2D graphics engine with particle effects. Relies on DDraw methods. As such, a modern graphics card is not necessary to run the game.
It was also the first (and 2nd to only) game to use the directx mmx graphics library. It is very outdated by today's standards and direct3d would gain better speed. The NoX engine also uses a palletized mode of drawing to do the particle effects, it has shading and color translation lookup tables. That is how it is able to achieve the particle effects it has with no major loss in processing speed.