[Wine] Re: No sound in World of Warcraft - intermittant.

JontomXire wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Nov 15 08:58:33 CST 2011

Hello again, Dardack.

What is this "alsa duplex that Pulse ran through" and how do I set it up? What packages do I need to install?

As for same performance in WoW on both Linux and Windows, I remember you saying that before, but since I have (AFAIK) followed the exact same steps as you, I don't know why I get such a massive discrepancy. It's bad enough that WoW doesn't even allow the best graphics levels with OpenGL, the frame rate sucks even at lowest settings. On Windows with a 32 bit incorrect OS I get better frame rate at better settings.

The only reason I can think of  is that you are using such massively over-specced graphics cards that they have processing power to spare in both Linux and under Windows. As my graphics cards are slightly under-spec, certainly for the highest levels of quality for graphics, they cope ok with medium quality levels of graphics under Windows and struggle even at the lowest levels under Linux. I suspect you are, as it were, over the graphics cap for both Windows and Linux.

As stated in another thread, it's cheaper to spend £80 on Windows and get a big boost in graphics performance than to spend several hundreds of pounds on new graphics cards.

If you can think of any reason why my graphics performance is so bad, I'd love to hear it. My setup is:

Kubuntu 10.04 LTS
Running WoW under OpenGL.
No registry edits that I can think of ( I believe I took them all out when they made no difference).
Proprietary NVidia drivers.

I believe I am running the latest version of Wine from a custom repository, not the distribution's repository. I looked into building it myself, but had dependency issues and also there didn't seem tobe much point.