[Wine] SWTOR requires 30Gb, wine has only 20 Gb. Allocate memory+?

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 21:53:14 CST 2011

On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 8:27 PM, darKoram <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> Thanks all,
> I keep forgetting, I have 150 Gb free, but on my "D:" drive /media/DATA .  My linux and thus wine are on a partition
> called filesystem with only 20Gb free.  At the moment, the swtor.exe installer seems happy enough accepting 11Gb
> instead of 20Gb, and an icon is put on my desktop.  But double click and all i get is an embossed window frame with
> the desktop image.  Something starts for a few seconds and then disappears.  The process doesn't die completely
> cause if i click again it says, "only one instance can run".

This may be coming from Wine and not SWTOR.

Can you try the following after the program terminates:

[code]

ps -ef | grep wine
[/code]

and see if there is any Wine processes running.

If there are, please run
[code]
wineserver -k
[/code]
to stop them.  Do not use the standard 'kill' or 'killall' commands if
you can avoid them.  Using wineserver -k leaves Wine in a more stable
condition.

> I tried shrinking my D partition to transfer space to linux, but things got tricky and i'll have to wait for backup before
> attempting again.

What did you use to attempt this?  There are several 'safe' programs
for 'shrinking' NTFS partitions.  Some versions of Linux come with one
or two of them.  Backing up your data is always recommended before
using any of them.

James