[Wine] Failed automatic driver selection

haines wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Apr 1 17:30:24 CDT 2012

I run two machines with Debian squeeze and Wine 1.2.3. I chose this version of Wine because it is compatible with Dragon NaturallySpeaking 10. I compiled it in /usr/local/src with too/s/wineinstall.

On one machine the winealsa driver is automatically detected and tests OK in winecfg.
However, in the other machine, which is a brand new installation of debian that may not have all the drivers of the old machine, when I run $ winecfg, the alsa driver in the registry is not found and I'm asked whether to remove it. However, the driver is in dlls.

In googling this problem several possible solutions may have been offered, but there's no obvious answer:

  a) Upgrade Wine. That is hard to do because it probably will case to support Dragon
      NaturallySpeaking.

  b) One can overcome this problem accidentally by enough libraries more or less at
      random.  However, mentioned are libraries that either are unavailable for my
      distribution or are not installed in the machine that has no problem.

  c) Submit a bug report. But one identical machine works fine, and so I assume the
      problem is my doing.

How do I know if it is a version incompatibility or whether wine simply does not see its own dlls directory?

Haines Brown