Another suggestion: Coding styles and review

Henri Verbeet hverbeet at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 10:44:28 CDT 2016

On 2 November 2016 at 14:46, Aric Stewart <aric at codeweavers.com> wrote:
> Here is a discussion I would love to have, especially with the greater dependence on non Alexandre reviewers
>
> What are wine's coding style requirements?
> How much do style error block review/sign-off?
> Can a reviewer just change style, how much changing requires a re-sign-off from the original author?

It's largely at the discretion of the module's maintainer, and I think
that's how it should be. Which is to say, I'll happily discuss my
personal answers/style preferences with you, and I could probably be
convinced to write them down on the wiki, but that won't necessarily
apply to any other maintainers. If on the other hand the argument is
"Wine should have a single unified coding style", I just don't see
that happening.

I can't help but wonder if the issue you're attempting to address is
really that different people have different standards, or if there's a
different, perhaps more tractable, issue you'd like to address? I.e.,
it may be more helpful to start with describing the specific problem
than with an attempted solution.

> I am noticing that our coding guidelines block on the wiki is, small, incomplete and I personally have been told to do things directly in opposition to some of the points on this page:
>
> https://wiki.winehq.org/Submitting_Patches#Code_guidelines

I'd be curious about specific examples, but those are guidelines and
not hard rules.