Next wineconf

Henri Verbeet hverbeet at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 17:47:51 CST 2018

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 at 01:34, Jeremy White <jwhite at codeweavers.com> wrote:
> We punted on the question of where to have the next Wineconf.  Two
> candidates we considered were Japan and Toronto.
>
> I've asked folks at Valve if they would be willing to present at the
> next conference, and the answer was positive for Toronto, and less
> enthusiastic for Japan.  Ulrich has been patiently offering to host for
> many years, and I think it would be good to rotate back to North America
> on it's scheduled year.

Just so there's no misunderstanding, "we" above is "the Wine Project
Leadership committee", as opposed to "CodeWeavers", right?

I would like it to be clear that this reply is as a member of the Wine
project, as opposed to a CodeWeavers contractor. At the same time,
since apparently Valve's willingness to attend in Canada, but not in
Japan was a consideration, I think it's only fair to point out that
CodeWeavers also has significant customers in Japan. Were they asked
as well?

> So I propose we have WineConf 2019 in Toronto, with a tentative plan to
> try for Japan in 2020.
>
> One question we also never addressed was what of time of year.  It
> seemed as though summer worked really well last year.  Historically, the
> 'plan' was early fall; procrastination has forced us to late fall in
> recent years.  But I volunteered to conduct a quick survey, which is here:
>
>    https://goo.gl/forms/wnWeIRWkYqTmrUtI3
>
> If we get a statistically compelling set of answers, we'll follow those
> results.  Otherwise, how about we let Ulrich pick.
>
> That all make sense?
>
> Pitchforks and torches go here.

Although I'm confident Ulrich would make a great host, I don't think
anyone would be terribly surprised to learn I'd be a little
disappointed if WineConf 2019 wouldn't be in Asia.

Henri