Virtual Wineconf?

Arkadiusz Hiler ahiler at codeweavers.com
Mon Nov 16 05:23:08 CST 2020

On Fri, Nov 06, 2020 at 03:09:01PM +0100, André Hentschel wrote:
> Am 06.11.20 um 14:22 schrieb Rosanne DiMesio:
> > On Fri, 6 Nov 2020 15:32:36 +0300
> > Stefan Dösinger <stefandoesinger at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> Since WineConf this year didn't go anywhere due to the pandemic I'd
> >> like to suggest a sort of virtual wineconf via any kind of video
> >> chat system.
> >>
> >> What would it be good for that the mailing list can't do? There are
> >> some topics that are easier to discuss in person IMHO, when you
> >> know people are listening. One topic of my concern is what to do
> >> about GSoC. Having a keynote with a development recap of the past
> >> would be a good thing too. Are there other topics of discussion?
> >>
> >> What do you think?
> >>

> > I think it's an excellent idea.
>
> +1
> CCing wineconf list

Hey,

I was co-hosting this year's XDC[0], and I definitely can help with
getting the online wineconf off the ground.

The best thing about a conference is just getting people in the same
place at the same time and having a bunch of presentations serving as a
catalyst for discussions. This doesn't even have to be a
voice-/video-chat.

IMO an IRC channel, possibly with a few bridges, is a good, core mean of
communication for our community. It worked well for XDC, which has
similar attendance. Then we can have a jitsi instance that people can
use for ad-hoc voice/video chats if they really feel like it.

We can also have a voice-/video-chat workshops for all the hot topics
that we know will generate a lot of discussion. We can have them as a
separate track or as a part of the main one, depending on the time
budget.

I can help with:

 * hosting jitsi instances for people to dial in for talks, workshops, etc.
   the workshop instance can stream directly which will serve later as a
   VOD

 * hosting and streaming the presentation track, possibly on one of the
   established platforms like YouTube. It may not appeal to purists,
   but it's hard to beat their CDNs. I have 1gbps down and 100mbps up
   link + LTE fallback. I will be quite likely able to borrow an UPS
   from a friend.

 * handling the live Q&A

But ultimately it's up to you what you would like to see. I am still
fairly new to this community and I have never attended any of the
previous wineconfs.

Let me know what I can help you with.

[0]: https://blog.hiler.eu/xdc-2020/

PS. Sorry for late reply. I had a week off :-)

--
Cheers,
Arek