SHLWAPI pre-submit questions

Andreas Mohr andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de
Tue Dec 4 08:55:29 CST 2001

On Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 03:12:10AM -0800, Jon Griffiths wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been hacking on SHLWAPI.dll for a couple of months now while
> holidaying around Thailand, using a beaten up laptop. Since I just
> obtained free use of a real machine with a good net connection, I
> want to start submitting my work but I thought I'd clear up a few
> style issues beforehand:
>
> 1. Is it OK to give meaningful names to undocumented functions?
> e.g. SHLWAPI_1/2 => UrlGetInfoA/W
>        SHLWAPI_5/6 => PathFindOnPathExA/W
>
> I want to do this where the names are no-brainers, as in the case
> above, and the functions are referenced by the dll internally.
Ugh, I wouldn't do this.
At least mark the function name clearly as being undocumented.
That's the way to go IMHO.
Otherwise you really pollute the undoc ratio of Me$$y$oft ;)
(no, really: that way nobody will be able to tell any more whether
a function is undocumented or not)

> 2. Is it OK to sync shlwapi.h with the windows version ?
>
> e.g. Remove undocumented entries
>        Remove its dependence on obj_base.h (windows has none)
>        Add the function exclusion defines as per windows
I'm not sure whether I'm qualified to talk about this,
but I think it's ok.
I would be rather careful about removing undocumented entries,
though.

> I assume this is fine, but doing this causes the next question -
>
> 3. How to deal with shared undocumented functions?
>
> e.g. StrRetToBufA/W is used by shell32, but should not defined in
> shlwapi.h.
>
> Here there are 4 Choices:
> 1. Define twice (Ugly)
> 2. Put into a new wine/undocshlwapi.h (Seems that these are
> depreciated?)
> 3. Define anyway  (Im not a fan of having undoc functions in public
> headers)
> 4. Have shell32 functions #include "../shlwapi/internal.h" (A little
> unclean)
>
> I'd like to go for 4, any objections?
No opinion here ;)

*Great* work, BTW !