Add color cursor support

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Wed Dec 19 20:32:11 CST 2001

On Wed, 19 Dec 2001, Dan Kegel wrote:
[...]
> I'm running wine over an ssh connection over a cable modem,
> which exposes a lot of speed issues.  Font setup takes forever,
> for instance, and app repaint happens partly reasonably, partly
> in slow motion.  I encourage developers to test using this sort
> of slow connection in addition to normal desktops.

   I agree, testing in such configurations is nice. It also helps with
the local area network case where the trick I'm about to reveal is not
very effective.
   To make things faster when you have to go through a slow and/or high
latency link: use VNC.
   This way, operations that require a round-trip to the X server are
still fast. And the screen updates arive to me asynchronously so that
even if the application redraws stuff 10 times, it's only transmitted
once (or perhaps twise) over the network.
   Tricks:
 - use ssh port forwarding for security
 - I usually also turn ssh compression on
 - specify '-encoding hextile' on the VNC viewer command line otherwise
it will use no compression since it believes it connects to the
localhost.

   With all that it works pretty well. Ah, the power of Unix :-)

           Demander si un ordinateur peut penser revient à demander
                          si un sous-marin peut nager.