[OLE #10] Make out of process COM work with OXID based marshal ids

tony_lambregts at telusplanet.net tony_lambregts at telusplanet.net
Wed Dec 22 15:18:46 CST 2004

Robert Shearman wrote:
> tony_lambregts at telusplanet.net wrote:
>
>> I just want to say that I tried out this patch. It does not fix the
>> problem for InstallShield 6. I have a bug report in bugzilla if you
>> are interested. Right now AFAIKT InstallSheild is seriously broken
>> (for quite some time) and I am unable to use Native ole to workaround
>> the problem.
>

> Why does native ole not work?

Because I did not have stdole32.tlb since I usually run wine with no windows
files. ;^) When I applied Mikes patch and imported a stdole32.tlb file from
windows the program installs.

Not having our own version of stdole32.tlb means that the at least InstallShield
6 will not work "out of the box".

We have had a couple of proposals for implementing our own version of
stdole32.tlb. Huw Davies' is the most recent, it was submitted to wine patches
by Vincent Béron.
http://www.winehq.org/hypermail/wine-patches/2004/12/0053.html. and the most
recent discussion thread is here.
http://www.winehq.org/hypermail/wine-devel/2004/12/0164.html . The upshot of
which was that Alexandre said that it should be installed at compile time.

Anyways I was wondering I anyone could give me an update.

>> If there is anyway I can help this process I please tell me.
>

> If you don't want to assist us in the programming work, then you can
> help us by testing things that should work (I'll include a comment in my
> message to wine-patches if I think something should start working with
> the patch). Each program's InstallShield seems to be unique and they
> usually break in unique ways, so any help with testing different
> installers would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Rob

I am currently building wine with Vincent's and Mike's patches applied to see if
it will install without native stdole32.tlb. I will let you know what the
results are.

--

Tony Lambregts