Stencil fbo attachments

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Wed Jul 18 08:27:46 CDT 2007

Am Mittwoch, 18. Juli 2007 14:17 schrieb H. Verbeet:
> On 18/07/07, Stefan Dösinger <stefandoesinger at gmx.at> wrote:
> > > Renderbuffers might be ok, but I'm not completely sure.
> >
> > Apparently not :-(
> >
> > I tried to get it working, but I didn't have any luck. Either I am
> > missing something, or it just doesn't work. My attempt is attached
> >
> >+        GL_EXTCALL(glFramebufferTexture2DEXT(GL_FRAMEBUFFER_EXT,
>
> GL_STENCIL_ATTACHMENT_EXT, GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, 0));
> You don't have to do that, attaching the renderbuffer removes the
> previous attachment. The has_stencil check is rather ugly, of course.
I added the glFramebufferTexture2DEXT to see if it changes anything. Sorry,
forgot to document this.

Yeah, the way has_stencil is handled in my hack is ugly, agreed. It could be a
property in the pixel format table(that one is getting rather huge :-/). For
set_depth_stencil_fbo it could be some sort of flag in the surface.

> > So it looks like we just have to use GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil. That
> > makes the extension check obsolete too because we can't get anything
> > better than a GL_FRAMEBUFFER_UNSUPPORTED_EXT.
>
> Not really, you can still attach a regular depth format in that cause.
> Not all applications that use D24S8 actually use the stencil buffer.
Good point.

The check could be done when setting glDescription.glInternal. I can't find it
right now, but I think it is linked to d3dfmt_get_conv where all the other
formats are handled.