[1/2] opengl32/tests: Add tests for special case of SetPixelFormat

Matijn Woudt tijnema at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 17:33:28 CST 2010

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 12:06 AM, Roderick Colenbrander
<thunderbird2k at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Matijn,
>
> What 3D API is this game using? Is it using Direct3D or OpenGL?
>
> If it is Direct3D then I have the feeling the 'issue' is getting fixed
> in the wrong layer.

It's using Direct3D, but I don't see how this can be fixed in Direct3D.

> Further I'm not really sure whether we want to allow pixel format 1 to
> be used at all. In case of Wine all pixel formats are hardware
> accelerated (okay, the bitmaps one are set to indirect rendering so
> might be software based depending on the GLX implementation). On
> Windows you essentially have two GL implementations namely the
> Microsoft GDI renderer and the OpenGL ICD driver. The first several
> pixel formats are the ones from the software based GDI renderer...
>
> So even though Windows might allow setting pixel format 1 on HDC 0, I
> don't think it is the right thing to do.
>
> Roderick

Not setting the pixel format (e.g. just returning TRUE) won't help the
game. Setting a different (hardware accelerated) format will probably
work, but that doesn't feel right. I'd really like to fix this bug,
but if the patch isn't right I don't have a clue how to fix it 'the
right way'.
Any hints?

Thanks,

Matijn

ps. Trial for the game is available at:
http://www.sandlotgames.com/w5/hearts_medicine_season_1.html (200MB),
after installing run bin/prog.exe, launcher doesn't work.