po: Tweak the French 'broadcast' and 'unicast' translations.

Frédéric Delanoy frederic.delanoy at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 12:30:37 CDT 2013

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 4:33 PM, Francois Gouget <fgouget at free.fr> wrote:
> ---
>
> Surprisingly enough (for me) the existing translations match the term
> used in Microsoft's Terminology file:
>    "broadcast address" -> "adresse de diffusion"
>    "broadcast"         -> "diffusion"
>    "multicast"         -> "multidiffusion"
>    "unicast"           -> "monodiffusion"
>
> https://www.microsoft.com/Language/en-US/Terminology.aspx
>
> But I still don't think they're good translations. I find 'diffusion'
> way too general and vague. Reading it I would certainly not make the
> link with broadcast, even in the domain of networking. Similarly I don't
> think 'monodiffusion' would be readily understood.
>
> So I'm more enclined to follow Wikipedia which uses the untranslated
> terms as the title of their French articles:

Well they're just untranslated... you said it

The "grand dictionnaire terminologique"
(http://gdt.oqlf.gouv.qc.ca/Resultat.aspx) gives
broadcast -> diffusion (générale)
multicast -> multidiffusion / diffusion groupée (beurk)
monocast -> envoi individuel

http://glossaire.traduc.org/ (used for manpages/howtos) gives
broadcast -> diffusion
multicast -> multidiffusion
unicast -> unicast

BTW to broadcast = diffuser

I may agree with unicast but the "diffusion" and "multidiffusion" seem OK to me