po: Revise Russian translation

Dmitry Timoshkov dmitry at baikal.ru
Sat Apr 5 21:55:13 CDT 2014

Nikolay Sivov <bunglehead at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Looks good. I especially like changes like these:
> >>
> >> ---
> >> -msgstr "Пожалуйста, выберите файл."
> >> +msgstr "Выберите файл."
> > No, this doesn't match the original english text.
> I matches okay and sounds better. Verb form is already in plural which
> makes 'please' redundant.

'Please' is never redundant, please don't invent new rules. Or should I omit
'please' here?

> Same thing as for 'Вы' garbage when used to
> address one person.

Oh, probably one should ask how well did you learn Russian in school.

> >   Some other translations
> > don't match either, for instance
> >
> >>   "This large number of copies is not supported by your printer.\n"
> >>   "Please enter a value between 1 and %d."
> >>   msgstr ""
> >> -"Такое большое количество копий не может быть напечатано вашим принтером.\n"
> >> +"Такое большое количество копий не может быть напечатано этим принтером.\n"
> >>
> What you mean? 'your' translated literally is out of place here. Article
> or a possessive pronoun before a noun is not a requirement in Russian,
> as I'm sure you know. In this particular phase it would be enough to say
> 'не поддерживается принтером'. No need to literally match English variant.

'your printer' and 'this printer' have two distinct and different meanings,
please avoid inventing new traslation rules unless you have a degree in this
area.

--
Dmitry.