po: Revise Russian translation

Nikolay Sivov bunglehead at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 09:45:07 CDT 2014

On 4/6/2014 09:12, Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:

>>> 'Please' is never redundant, please don't invent new rules. Or should I omit
>>> 'please' here?
>> No, you can't. There's no way to express it in English, don't be silly.
>> Suggested form is shorter and has exactly same meaning - politely asks
>> to do something.
> 'Please select a file' and 'Select a file' have cleary different emotional
> meaning both in english and in russian.  If you would like to omit 'please'
> in russian translations you need to correct english version first.
English version is fine, I explained below.
>   Why for
> instance in the same translation update "SCANNING... Please Wait" still
> contains 'пожалуйста' (please) then? There are other occurances of 'please'
> all over the place, are you suggesting to remove them all as well in
> the russian translation?
Not necessary, it's not all-or-nothing rule. Each case should be
considered separately, for "SCANNING.." one it's better to keep 'please'
translated, because otherwise it becomes too short and feels incomplete
(no, same doesn't apply for select a file).
>   What's so special about russian language that it
> should sound rude while the original text intentionally has 'please'?
I never said it should. It's not something unique to Russian language,
French has same thing too - ability to address a single person
respectfully with a verb form also used for plural form for you/вы/vous.
There's two ways to translate 'select' in imperative way - "выбери" or
"выберите". First variant is what you call rude, and I'm not suggesting
to use it. Second variant is respectful enough to skip 'please'.

>>> 'your printer' and 'this printer' have two distinct and different meanings,
>>> please avoid inventing new traslation rules unless you have a degree in this
>>> area.
>> Could we talk about this particular case instead of making
>> generalizations or discussing degrees? Thing is distinction is not
>> important here, 'your' exists in English variant because it has to.
> If it's not important then there is nothing to discuss and "fix".
>
> In general it's important IMHO to keep translated text match its english
> version as much as possible. One of the reasons is to avoid other translators
> from fixing the mismatches, another is to really keep the UI consistent in
> different languages.
Julius' answer covers that part.