Total Newbie here..

Bart Symons bart.symons at skynet.be
Sun Nov 25 02:38:41 CST 2001

The difference between SuSE 6.3 and SuSE 7.3 is as big as between Windows
3.1 and Windows 2000. I strongly advise you to get yourself a SuSE 7.3 box,
it's well worth the money if only for the pile of printed manuals and user
guides that come with it (extra important since you're a self proclaimed
newbie). SuSE is well ahead of the others in this respect.

Wine does run on SuSE and is even included (at least from v7.1, I don'(
know about 6.3).

Because you are a newbie I suggest you either stick with SuSE's Wine or to
use Codeweaver's Wine (www.codeweavers.com, free). Codeweaver's version is
in my opinion the best solution for newbies or for anybody who doesn't want
to tinker with config files.

If you really want to quit Windows as your main OS but still need to use
some Windows applications then Wine may not be your best choice. Wine does
run a whole bunch of Windows apps but it's not guaranteed. I use it myself
for a small Windows encryption tool. If you wanna be 100% sure then maybe
VMWare Express (www.vmware.com, not free, real easy), Win4Lin (a bit more
difficult for a newbie) or a dual boot configuration (SuSE can install
Linux on a PC where Windows is already available) are better.

Anyway, give Wine a try. If it runs your apps, fine, then you got yourself
a cheap solution. If it doesn't, then there's always VMWare or dual boot.