[Wine] Re: Directory names in Wine patches do not match actual dir names

Duane Clark junkmail at junkmail.com
Mon Mar 19 00:50:18 CDT 2007

Udo Kuhnt wrote:
> Hello,
>
> when I tried to apply the patches for the recent Wine versions, I
> noticed that in all patches released in the last weeks, the dir names
> do not match the names in the source code tar archives. So, for
> example, if the source code had been unpacked into Wine-0.9.18, the
> patch to upgrade it to v0.9.19 would use 'a' and 'b' instead of
> 'Wine-0.9.18' and 'Wine-0.9.19' as dir names.

There has been a recent shift in the last couple of months from using
CVS as the primary revision control system, to using git. And apparently
that is how git does things (I certainly am not with git, though). And
the developers have clearly stated that in the future, all revision
control will be done with git, so you might as well get used to it ;)

You don't need to rename directories. Copy a patch of that format into
the top level directory of the Wine tree you want to patch, and execute:
patch -p 1 < thepatch
The "-p 1" says to ignore the leading 'a' or 'b' or whatever.