[Wine] problem with windows program in linux in virtual machine...

walt w41ter at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 12:00:02 CDT 2009

On 07/09/2009 01:08 AM, barnabyr wrote:

> I have scoured other posts and some people have recommended using winetricks. How would I install this. I have looked at the instructions and sadly it doesn't make sense to me a linux newb. Could someone talk me through it with step by step instructions, please?
> Am I right in assuming that when people talk about a prompt it's the same as the terminal?

winetricks is just a "shell script", which doesn't need installation.
Just download and save the file somewhere convenient (e.g. your home
directory) and type this at a command prompt (i.e. in a terminal):
$ sh winetricks   (don't type the $, that's what you will see in the
terminal window to indicate that you may type a command.)

Once you see the winetricks window you will need to install .NET 2
(look for "dotnet20") and the jet database engine "jet40".

Now, I never did get the PitchPad installer to work, so I resorted to
trickery:  I installed the program in Windows and just copied the
entire C:\Program Files\PitchPad directory to my linux machine.

That directory goes in your ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/ directory,
where you can then run it by typing
$ wine PitchPadP.exe

If you can get that far you can add a desktop icon for it later, but
first things first.  The program does work but looks a bit odd. I
have no freaking idea whether the program works correctly because
cricket is a straaaange game ;o)

If you get stuck somewhere (most likely) let us know.