[Wine] Need some feedback on this Printing Solution

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Sat Feb 13 06:22:53 CST 2010

On Sat, 2010-02-13 at 01:43 -0800, perryh at pluto.rain.com wrote:
> Yes, and it's not what you wanted to hear.  For the most part, Wine
> doesn't handle Windows hardware drivers.  If it's a USB printer
> there are some hacks that _might_ get it to work, but it would not
> be an easy job and you might well not get anything out of the effort
> other than more frustration.  The usual recommendation is exactly
> the reverse of what you're attempting:  if needing to print from
> Wine, first get the printer working in Linux (using CUPS) and have
> Wine print through CUPS.
>
> In your situation, I would first check the Ubuntu forums and see
> if anyone there knows how to get this printer working under Linux
> directly.  If not, she may be better off to reinstall Windows.

Even when you have CUPS working for native Linux programs it still may
not work for programs run under Wine. The solution is to make sure that
Basic Server settings have "Publish shared printers" and "Allow printing
from the Internet" selected. This is needed because Wine connects to
CUPS using the network printing mechanism: this is off by default in
many distros and IIRC Ubuntu is one of them.

You can find these settings by going to 'System: Administration:
Printing' and click 'Server' on the Printer Configuration menu.

Martin