[Wine] Re: importing XP drivers to Linux using Wine

oiaohm wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Mar 10 03:35:36 CST 2011

> want to ask that ,is this possible to add the driver in the Winelib, which contains different drivers ??
> Another important question is that, if i somehow manage to make a required driver in Linux , then whether Wine will detect it or not ??
> Or in other words ,any driver in Linux can be accessed to wine ??
> kindly help me in this regard. i dont have strong background in Linux.

This is why this is ugly and never done.

Yes its possible to add a fake driver to wine.   Many already exist. Problem is the fake driver will still need real driver code.

So basically you will need a Linux driver then an extension to wine to detect the Linux driver and use it.     The extension is to make the Linux driver look like the windows one and so it works with wine.

Its simpler in most cases to make a Linux driver and make a Linux native binary.  So you don't have as many fail points or as much complex code.

libusb.org is a fairly good solution.

What is the driver for pieterparker lot of devices already have drives in Linux of some form.