Novell filesystem support

Andreas Mohr amohr at codeweavers.com
Sun Feb 11 18:00:07 CST 2001

On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 12:41:31PM +1200, Simeon Pilgrim wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been making Wine support Novell Bindery calls via the
> ncplib, so that I can get Pegasus mail to do mhs mail. But i've hit
> the brick wall, novell file operations on a window -> unix -> novell
> file system dose not work very well.
Ah, finally somebody is implementing Novell support.
Many people have been asking this, and I have told them a bit where to find
information about that, but nobody cared to actually implement stuff,
they just went away silently.

Can you tell us what exactly the problem is that you're experiencing ?
I don't know that much about what the problem might be, so you'd
have to explain it...

> So what needs to happen is make Wine know about other file
> system types other than dos / windows / unix. What I was thinking
> is, there must be some system that windows uses to register extra
> file systems and then use supplied functions for read/write/etc
> operations.
That'd be possible via DOS device drivers.
I don't exactly know where you added support for anything,
but there's a certain Novell VxD that many programs complained about.

> Dose Wine also support this system, or should it be made to do
> this?
Some work has been done there, but a lot is missing, AFAIK.

> If this is in place where in the code should I look for references. If it
> is not supported, is it something that is should be supported in the
> future( i.e. a clean implementation ) or is an ugly little hack ok.
Well, first, I don't know what the problem is, so I can only give rough
answers.
But I'd have a look into files/drive.c and files/ in general.

> If doing a hack, what structures should I add the extra information
> to, what structures should I not touch.
More information ! ;-)

> p.s. sorry if this has been brought up before, I found it hard to
> search the archives.
Nobody brought it up this way.
Everybody just searched for answers.

Thanks for doing that !