TCP/IP networking and registry keys

Ove Kaaven ovehk at ping.uio.no
Wed Feb 21 03:36:09 CST 2001

On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, Alan Chandler wrote:

> and was then enumerating the keys under it to establish an IP address
> ie the following
>
> [System\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\Class\\NetTrans\\0000]
> "IPAddress"="10.0.10.100"
>

> The thought occurred to me that maybe the tool the builds the registry
> during wine install could actually create these keys - since it is
> essentially a key part of the system (and other similar keys are also
> built in the same way).

Nah... the IP address can change between Wine invocations (PPP, DHCP, and
things like that), so it would have to be a dynamic key, generated at Wine
startup or something like that (I think we already have a couple of
those?), but then there's a question of how to get the OS's network
interface IPs portably...