Unicode, i18n support

Dmitry Timoshkov dmitry at baikal.ru
Mon Apr 1 05:36:30 CST 2002

"Shachar Shemesh" <wine-devel at sun.consumer.org.il> wrote:

> >One more thing that should be addressed IMO as the part of the unicode
> >support in Wine: file APIs. For instance in the current state all russian
> >file names created by windows programs are completely unreadable in Linux
> >because they are created in code page 1251 but native russian encoding
> >in Linux is KOI8-R (code page 20866). Therefore all file APIs should
> >work with unicode natively, and convert file names to code page specified
> >somewhere in the config file (like [x11drv]/TextCP) on create, and vice versa
> >on reading file names from disk.
> >

> I don't think this is a WINE issue. Depending on whether you access
> those files via a local mount or SMB, the translation between 1251 and
> 20866 should be taken care of in the filesystem or via SMB respectively.

To make things worse, here is general mount options, used by *all* russian
users in the world to be able correctly see cyrillic filenames under Linux
from a vfat partition: mount -t vfat -o codepage=866,iocharset=koi8-r.

> After all, I don't see any reason that WINE will be able to access these
> files, but regular Linux/BSD users won't.

Filenames, created by windows programs running under Wine, of course are
seen correctly *under Wine*. But regular Linux applications for apparent
reasons display them incorrectly, but still can open them.

> One more thing I don't understand is this. The filenames are a list of
> bytes. When setting the codepage inside WINE to 1251, does it still not
> see them correctly?

See above.

--
Dmitry.