Dr. Seuss, licensing, and WINE

Dimitrie O. Paun dimi at cs.toronto.edu
Fri Feb 8 13:48:42 CST 2002

On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, Sean Farley wrote:

> Just relax and take deep breaths.  :)  As should we all.

It's difficult, because I see, once again, how the discussion deviates to
mostly irrelevant topics. Quite frankly, I am very dissapointed with the
current debate:

  -- I provide arguments which details the feedback mechanism generated by
each license. What do I get back: "nobody stops companies from
contributing back under BSD" or "it is possible that companies will still
contribute back under BSD", and crap like that. If people don't udnerstand
that a system survives not on political will but on feedback loops
built-in the system, they don't understand how the world works, and we're
just wasting time.

  -- instead of focusing the discussion on what's important for Wine, we
get incredible FUD as "people will be afraid to link against the LGPL".

  -- we get arguments of the form: "it is possible that..." But of course
is "possible", for crying out loud!!! Everything is possible, but we
should be concerned with what's _probable_!

I'll stop here, because I'm too upset to continue, to be honest...

--
Dimi.