Strange behaviour -- app starts only with --debugmsg+snoop

Uwe Bonnes bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
Sat Jul 6 16:52:13 CDT 2002

    Max> AutoCAD again !  After finally R14 runs fine, i'm trying with
    Max> AutoCAD 2000.  Setup goes ok (besides usual VBA problem).  Starting
    Max> with 'wine acad' gives a very early error of unhandled access
    Max> violation.  I tried to start it with --debugmsg +snoop to see what
    Max> happened and, surprise, app starts up quite good.  It then hangs
    Max> much later, but that's another problem.  So the question : how it's
    Max> possible that requesting snoop messages bypasses the initial access
    Max> violation ? I think that snoop adds only a thunk to calls on native
    Max> dlls....  Any suggestion appreciated !

If I remember right, this behaviour is a sign of "stack smashing", that
means, the stack got overwritten in some place and causes a crash in some
other , mostly unrelated place. Sometimes you can get some hints for the
cause of that error by running with --debugmsg +heap.  That makes things
much slower, but checks the heap on every heap allocation and aborts on the
first encountered error. Then the smashing must be in between the last
allocation and the error. Running with +relay helps you pinpoint.

Bye
Uwe Bonnes                bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de