Today wine's compatibility with 20 popular apps from tucows

Andreas Mohr andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de
Sat Nov 2 10:33:32 CST 2002

On Sat, Nov 02, 2002 at 04:53:03PM +0100, Carlos Lozano wrote:
> Hello :)
>
> I have taken the 20 first entries of the top 100 tucows list,
> except that some entries has been removed, mainly antivirus
> and programs what need other different program to work.
>
> Comments, improves, ... are welcomed :))
Cool stuff !

> 4. WinZip - The most popular compression utility for Windows just got better.
>
>    VERSION 8.1.
>    * Install: Yes. (Dlls installed none)
>    * Run: No, it needs riched20.dll to shown the text in zipped files what
>       includes a message, zipped files without messages works fine.
Hmm, why No here ? AFAIR WinZip works pretty well.

> 10. Winamp - This program has so many possibilities and offers such a wide
>     range of interfaces, you'll need no other player.
>
>     VERSION 3.0:
>     * Install: Yes. (Dlls installed none)
>     * Run: No. (Need native msvcrt.dll then works)
This should definitely be looked into (might be easy, too).
We really should be able to run Winamp out of the box.

> 13. Fruityloops - Make your own MIDIs, WAVs and MP3s in minutes.
>
>     VERSION 3.56:
>     * Install: Yes. (It will install fruitloops in the directory what you are
>       when run the installer, it is a buggy because you must stop the
>       instalation with ctrl+c when it will ask by "overwrite files", but
>       it works).
>     * Run: No. (Need hhctrl.ocx native, with it the program runs, but i haven't
>       used it before :/)
"Windows syndrome" - you'd have needed hhctrl.ocx on Windows, too, no !?!?
Hmm, or is hhctrl.ocx a standard Windows component ?

> 18. Easy CD-DA Extractor - This program rips CDs, converts audio files between
>     different formats, and creates audio CDs from WAV and MP3 files.
>
>     VERSION 5.0.
>     * Install: Yes. (Dlls installed advpack.dll, drmv2clt.dll,msdmo.dll,
>        w95inf16.dll,wmnetmgr.dll,asfsipc.dll,l3codeca.acm,msnetobj.dll,
>        w95inf32.dll,wmstream.dll,blackbox.dll,laprxy.dll,msvcrt.dll,wmadmoe.dll,
>        wmvcore.dll,drmclien.dll,npwmsdrm.dll,WMASF.dll, drmstor.dll,msaud32.acm,
>        sl_anet.acm,wmidx.ocx)
>     * Run: No, crashes. (sysparams.c:1646 - user.dll.so)
Err... this is the same crash as with...

> 26. CD Mate - This is a powerful CD backup utility.
>
>     VERSION 2.2.8.1.
>     * Install: Yes. (License and more info is not visible - riched32) (Dlls
>       installed none)
>     * Run: No, crashes. (sysparams.c:1646 - user.dll.so) (the audioplayer
>       included with the program works)
...this one ?

> 29. Putty - This simple Telnet application could hang with the big boys.
>
>     VERSION 0.52.
>     * Install: No needed install.
>     * Run: No. (it doesn't show the right part of the window, regression????)
Very strange. PuTTY used to work. And please don't name it "Telnet
application". Telnet is a small part of it that should be neglected
as much as possible.
But AFAIR I recently had problems getting it to run, too.

Andreas Mohr