How can an app detect it's running under WINE?

Alberto Massari alby at
Fri Oct 25 02:25:23 CDT 2002

Hi everybody,
I am working on making our software (Stylus Studio, run under WINE, if this is feasible. To
achieve this, I have already implemented a bunch of APIs (the application
is built against the UNICODE version of the Win32 APIs) and fixed some bugs
I hit (I already mailed the first patch to wine-patches at

However, I would feel better if I could detect I am running under WINE and
gracefully disable some functionalities that are not yet fully supported;
is there any way to achieve this? Is there a WIN32 API (like, say,
GetVersionEx) that can return a string like "Windows 2000 (WINE)" or is
WINE trying to be as stealth as possible?

Thanks in advance,

Alberto Massari
eXcelon Corp.