[RFC] wrc: remaining TODOs

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.com
Wed Mar 26 11:57:40 CST 2003

"Dimitrie O. Paun" <dpaun at rogers.com> writes:

>   -- the -B option: I think this is a the wrong interface.
>      The Win32 API has been ported to Big Endian machines
>      IIRC, and there is no point allowing people to mock
>      with alignment like so: it opens up a BIG can of worms
>      for future support and maintenance. And I don't see
>      how it can be useful -- the Wine code assumes a certain
>      endianess, and that's exactly what wrc should output.
> 	NOTE: Of course, I just realized that the argument
> 	      holds as long as the .res format has a fixed
> 	      endianess on all platform. I hope it does.
> 	      Anyone cares to enlighten me?

No there's no standard, and there's no defined Win32 API on big endian
machines. It's not clear what is the right thing to do, currently we
use native endianness in Wine, which means a different .res format.
This implies that we need to be able to specify which one we want, if
only to allow cross-compilation.

>   -- the -m option. rc doesn't have it, why do we need it?
>      We are using it in the Wine tree, do we really need it?
>      Personally, I'd be happier if we could get rid of it,
>      so we don't depend on Wine-only extensions.

We used to need it, but I think I have fixed all the offending
resources now, so it should be OK to remove it.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com