Contributing page needs fixing

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Sun Mar 30 03:53:54 CST 2003

On Sat, 29 Mar 2003, Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:
[...]
> I think we should remove this section altogether. The page is already
> way too big, and this is as bad as a not enough info. The site has been
> redesigned, and there are only a few things that are missing --

I think we need a web site maintainer. Jeremy Newman has other stuff to
do and will not be able to do the heavy lifting forever. Also I think he
very much prefers writing PHP code rather than updating the contents of
the site. So we do need a web site maintainer.

AFAIK we have no-one taking care of the site besides Brian Vincent who
does a great job with the Wine Weekly News btw. But if the rest of the
site is not kept up to date it will quickly get outdated and useless.

> and those can't be done by just anyone.
> Really, now the last thing we need is
> people comming over and messing with the site. Let's have a *focused* page
> on where we need help, not a laundry list of just about everything.

Let me transpose this just slightly:

'Wine is almost finished and there are few things that are missing --
and these can't by just anyone. Really, now the last thing we need is
people comming over and messing with the source.'

See how silly that sounds? It's just plain 'cathedral development' FUD.
Nobody is going to be messing with the site. Jeremy (or maybe someone
else) will have final say over what goes on the site, just like
Alexandre does for the Wine source. In the meantime, there are a lot of
opportunities to catch dead links, improve the site content here and
there (and I would say this includes the documentation) and add new
stuff.

                         "Utilisateur" (nom commun) :
        Mot utilisé par les informaticiens en lieu et place d'"idiot".