New metabugs

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Sun May 4 23:38:53 CDT 2003

On May 4, 2003 10:27 pm, Francois Gouget wrote:
> I continued looking at the component list and especially the component
> definition page:
> http://bugs.winehq.com/describecomponents.cgi?product=Wine
>
> Some interesting things I noticed:
>
>  * wine-patches
>    'Report consisting solely of a patch'
>
>    I think this should be a keyword, 'patch', rather than a component.

It should die, for sure. Patches should be sent to wine-{patches,devel}
for inclusion or discussion. I have patches submitted to Bugzilla, they
have about 0 visibility. A much better way to do it is to submit the
patch to one of the above mentioned lists, and add a link to the archived
message. This way:
  -- You get the patch out there, to a much wider audience
  -- You can have discution threads about it via regular email
  -- You get to link it to the bug, if relevant.

>  * wine-help
>    'Basic support or configuration request'
>
>    I think such requests belong to wine-users rather than Bugzilla. The
> reason is that I see Bugzilla as a way for developpers to track bugs in
> the code and reports such as 'Application foo does not work' are
> quite useless to developpers. They start to become more useful when you
> get to the level of a crash with a relay log, a stack trace, a
> meaningful FIXME, etc.
>    That being said, I'm not sure it would be 'right' to close such bugs.
> But I think our policy should be to at least direct the reporter to
> wine-users and assign the bug to the 'wine-help' component.

Agreed. Let's nuke it.

>  * I still think it would be nice to be able to attach a bug to a
> specific dll. I don't know if that means we should add a bunch of
> components or a bunch of keywords or find yet another mechanism.
>    Similarly having keywords/components corresponding to the debug
> channels would be nice.

Maybe nice, but most likely overkill. Bugzilla is way too complicated
already, half of it's features are most likely never used. You need a
degree in Bugzilla to operate it properly, this would just make it
even more complicated...

--
Dimi.