New metabugs

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Mon May 5 18:01:17 CDT 2003

On Mon, 5 May 2003, Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:

> On May 4, 2003 10:27 pm, Francois Gouget wrote:
[...]
> >  * wine-patches
> >    'Report consisting solely of a patch'
> >
> >    I think this should be a keyword, 'patch', rather than a component.
>
> It should die, for sure. Patches should be sent to wine-{patches,devel}
> for inclusion or discussion. I have patches submitted to Bugzilla, they
> have about 0 visibility. A much better way to do it is to submit the
> patch to one of the above mentioned lists, and add a link to the archived
> message. This way:
>   -- You get the patch out there, to a much wider audience
>   -- You can have discution threads about it via regular email
>   -- You get to link it to the bug, if relevant.

Some patches will inevitably end up in bugzilla. So we'll need people to
submit them to wine-devel/wine-patches but tagging the relevant bugs
would really help tracking them.

> >  * wine-help
> >    'Basic support or configuration request'
[...]
> Agreed. Let's nuke it.

Do you want to nuke the bugs or the wine-help component? If the former
then it's ok to nuke that component but otherwise we'll need it.

> >  * I still think it would be nice to be able to attach a bug to a
> > specific dll. I don't know if that means we should add a bunch of
> > components or a bunch of keywords or find yet another mechanism.
> >    Similarly having keywords/components corresponding to the debug
> > channels would be nice.
>
> Maybe nice, but most likely overkill. Bugzilla is way too complicated
> already, half of it's features are most likely never used. You need a
> degree in Bugzilla to operate it properly, this would just make it
> even more complicated...

Well often I know a bug is in shell32, but what component should that go
into? *That* requires a degree.

The problem is that our components don't have a one to one mapping with
dlls and that in many cases it's hard to know where to attach a bug.
This results in lots of bugs getting into the wrong category such as
wine-binary, wine-programs or wine-misc, which then makes it harder for
developpers to find bugs relevant to their area of expertise.

               RFC 2549: ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2549.txt
                IP over Avian Carriers with Quality of Service