Wine Start menu

Mike McCormack mike at codeweavers.com
Wed Oct 15 15:54:22 CDT 2003

Hi Robert,

It's probably easier to just go with the link file reader first, but it
will have some limitations:

1) you won't be able to get stuff in the shell namespace (eg. desktop
icons, Control panel stuff)

2) you'll have to hardcode the location of the start menu (you can
change the location of the start menu by playing with registry keys...
see SHGetSpecialFolderLocation).

3) you'll have to duplicate the code to read .lnk files (see
dlls/shell32/shelllink.c), and the code to read the icons from .exe files

4) if you want to support adding other stuff (eg. a .txt file) to the
menus, you'll have to read the registry to get the right association, to
pull the right icon from an exe.

I guess that's not too much of a problem, and it's probably not worth
the effort to make it perfect.

The code that wine Crossover uses to generate KDE/Gnome menus is already
merged into Wine.  We just have a more extensive wineshelllink script
that deals with more corner cases.

Mike