Named pipes

Robert Shearman R.J.Shearman at
Wed Jan 28 07:56:52 CST 2004

> The management software (binary called pm5.exe) installed fairly
> easily and gets a long way in on execution but then stops making
> progress. It consumes pretty much all the CPU and when run with debug
> messages printed I get the following:
> fixme:ole:CoRegisterMessageFilter stub

Should be harmless.

> warn:heap:HEAP_ValidateInUseArena Heap 40220000: invalid in-use
> arena magic for 402576a0

Worrying, but your program hasn't crashed so shouldn't be a problem.

> warn:ole:create_marshalled_proxy Could not open named pipe to
> broker \\.\pipe\{46A9F31C-E868-11D4-8BC9-000102A831DC}, le is 2
> [last message repeated indefinitely]

Probably the real cause. That pipe path isn't a standard Windows one. Is
there some server software you should run?

> There are two earlier instances of the first message, so I don't think
> that is the fundamental problem, but that is the first and only HEAP
> message, and the last message gets repeated endlessly. (full logs
> available on request).
> It also looks for, and doesn't find, ADVAPI32.dll.

You have run with warn+all right? That means it is a bit verbose when
err: message.

> I am not a Windows person at all, so have no idea if the above dll is
> one that I should expect to find somewhere, or likely to be from the
> app itself. As for the pipe thing, I couldn't tell whether it couldn't
> connect because it couldn't make a pipe, or because it could but there
> was nothing at the end of it. (I am assuming the 'broker' is at the
> other end of the pipe.)

Yes, try looking for something that needs to be at the other end of the pipe
(most likely another executable).