Wine printer configuration

Andreas Mohr andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de
Fri Aug 5 09:07:16 CDT 2005

Hi,

this posting has nothing whatsoever to do with wineconf discussion.
Redirecting further discussion to wine-devel...

On Fri, Aug 05, 2005 at 03:43:55PM +0200, Sven Jacobs wrote:
> We are setting up an application that needs to be available at around
> 350 locations.
> Everything seems to work fine.  We can start the application we can
> print, etc...
> My problem is now that because wine is running on the server we had to
> configure the 350 IP based printers also at the server side.
>
> Can we filter out the printer for location X if there is a connection from
> location X?  so that they only see that printer that is located in their
> location and not the other 349 printers.  I doubt that it is possible but
> I have to figure out a way to fix it.
This problem sounds somewhat unusual, however I could easily imagine
that it can be solved relatively easily.

You could log printing related debug channels and try to figure out how
Wine gathers the printer configuration information (perhaps via CUPS
somehow). Then you could try to figure out a way to let Wine selectively
know which particular printer to use. That could be done in a shell
script that launches Wine and before launching Wine either sets an environment
variable or modifies the registry file in some way or another (dirty) or
something else.

But then I better leave real ideas to real Wine printing experts...

Andreas Mohr