winefile: switch to UNICODE mode

Alexandre Julliard julliard at
Wed Jun 22 03:56:18 CDT 2005

"Ralf Reiterer" <ralfreit at> writes:

> So I really think Wine has to support the TCHAR type and all
> associated functions/macros to stay as close to the Windows
> API as possible.

Wine obviously supports TCHAR, that doesn't mean you want to use it in
new code. We have 16-bit support too but nobody advocates writing new
16-bit applications.

> And since it helps to avoid #ifdefs in application source, I
> think that's a strong argument not to eliminate it from
> Winelib (includes). Maybe these arguments help to convince
> you, Alexandre. ;-)

It doesn't help avoiding #ifdefs, on the contrary it requires a lot
more #ifdefs, and makes the code a lot more fragile. It's a nasty hack
that should be left to die a (hopefully painful) death.

Alexandre Julliard
julliard at