wcmd unusable when DISPLAY not set. Again.

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Mon Oct 3 06:41:47 CDT 2005

Dan Kegel <daniel.r.kegel at gmail.com> writes:

> It's been a year or so since my last complaint, time
> to complain again!
>
> wcmd is currently unusable when DISPLAY is not set.
>
> Normally, you can do
>   programs/wcmd/wcmd
> and get a nice DOS prompt.  However, if you do
>   unset DISPLAY
>   programs/wcmd/wcmd
> you get a nonfunctional DOS prompt; for each keystroke,
> it gives you a new prompt.   Pressing ^C terminates wine,
> and leaves stdin in raw mode.  This makes it really friggin' hard to
> use batch files
> in a cron job or any other situation where you don't have X
> available.  (And *please* don't tell me to set up a fake X server
> for this; that should simply not be needed. )

What we should probably do, now that we have support for a null
display driver, is to flesh this out a little more and get rid of the
tty driver. I don't think anybody in their right mind actually wants
to run graphical apps on a tty, and the null driver is probably much
closer to what people like you actually need.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org