Alexandre Julliard : x11drv: Moved desktop mode handling to the explorer process.

Willie Sippel willie at zeitgeistmedia.net
Wed Mar 29 07:09:57 CST 2006

Am Mittwoch, 29. März 2006 12:19 schrieb Stefan Dösinger:
> Hello,
>
> > > You announced working on the unmanaged window problem in September 2001
> > > IIRC, but I guess you didn't so far? Wouldn't, for the time being, a
> > > Cedega-like approach be feasible? They seem to ignore 'chromeless'
> > > windows and handle them just like regular windows (with window
> > > decoration and all, for Steam for example) - this is obviously not
> > > correct, but it would at least work 'till someone comes up with a real
> > > fix...?
> >
> > Wouldn't be much motivation for somebody to come up with a real fix if
> > there was already a half-baked fix in Wine already, would there?
>
> I've sent 2 patches addressing this issue to wine-devel last year. The
> first
> patch(http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-patches/2005-March/016558.html)
> made children of the desktop managed, the other patch made
> WM_SYSMENU(Sorry, can't find this one in the archives) windows managed.
> Both patches were neighter applied nor discussed further.

Did you check this[1] solution for borderless SDL applications? Looks somewhat
hacky, but not too complicated. Maybe the basic idea is feasible for Wine as
well? GTK (XMMS) seems to use the same approach ([2], Motif WM hints) to
disable borders, and this concept works with pretty much every window
manager...

[1]: http://www.libsdl.org/pipermail/sdl/2000-January/023704.html
[2]:
http://www.pygtk.org/pygtk2reference/class-gdkwindow.html#method-gdkwindow--set-decorations