FYI: SHELL_ArgifyW and unquoted %1, non-native behavior

Misha Koshelev mk144210 at bcm.edu
Thu Jun 7 22:52:53 CDT 2007

Sorry if I am just filling your inboxes, but I thought I'd at least
throw this out there before I forget about it.

When I was making my ShellExecute DDE conformance tests to get Vector
NTI associated files to open correctly (using DDE and without the fake
"%1" that wine was adding to all shell/?/command strings that don't have
one at the time), I noticed another non-native behavior in wine.
Specifically, when %1 is in a command or a ddeexec string on Windows
(XP), the filename is passed as is. However, under wine quotes are added
to this argument in SHELL_ArgifyW.

Since this did not affect anything Vector NTI related, I decided to just
not worry about this behavior at the time and just to change my
conformance test so it wouldn't tickle this. However, I am just
wondering what the general policy is about something like this? Should
it just be left alone until an app is found that somehow depends on this
(I am thinking this is the case)? Or do we want to try to correct this
when we discover this, that way perhaps preventing this bug in this
application from ever even occuring?

Thanks
Misha