DirectX 10 start as a SoC project?

Jesse Allen the3dfxdude at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 11:27:45 CDT 2007

On 3/11/07, Stefan Dösinger <stefandoesinger at gmx.at> wrote:
> Am Sonntag 11 März 2007 19:40 schrieb Jesse Allen:
> >
> > The concept is nice, and I'd like to learn 3D graphic APIs better. But
> > when I consider DX10, I don't have any DX10 apps, nor do I have Vista.
> > I'd also be concerned if it is even properly documented if I were to
> > start that way. So I'm not thinking I want to do DX10. However, this
> > idea can be considered with any API that is currently not implemented.
> > So I think I'll want to try this with a smaller more widely used API.
> Regarding applications, I have a few of them:
>
> /opt/windows/dxsdk/dx9/Samples/C++/Direct3D10 $ ls
> BasicHLSL10            GPUSpectrogram        PipesGS
> Bin                    HDRFormats10          ShadowVolume10
> CubeMapGS              HLSLWithoutFX10       SimpleSample10
> DisplacementMapping10  Instancing10          Skinning10
> DrawPredicated         MotionBlur10          SoftParticles
> EmptyProject10         MultiStreamRendering  SparseMorphTargets
> FixedFuncEMU           ParticlesGS           Tutorials
>
> 21 applications, so it is a widely used API. Oh ooops, those are just the sdk
> demos. And only 19 of them, bin/ and EmptyProject10/ do not really count...
>
> Jokes aside, there aren't any dx10 apps yet, except some demo apps. The first
> one to be expected is Halo 2 on April 24th afaik. The only thing is that MS
> has created some hype around dx10 recently. It would give us some nice
> publicity if the Halo 2 box states "Runs on Windows Vista and higher" and
> winehq.org says "Runs Halo 2 on Linux, MacOS, Windows XP and earlier"
>
> I do not think d3d10 hardware is required yet, the reference rasterizer should
> work for the start. It is a long way to get any actual rendering going.
> Regaring Vista, the nice thing is that Students get Educational licenses
> cheap. But the license should be checked carefully. I for example may use it
> only for educational purposes. As I am working for CodeWeavers my hacking on
> wine isn't purely for educational purposes. No idea of SoC can be considered
> an educational thing.

Okay, the test apps you have are a decent start. On buying vista, it
would have to depend on getting accepted for the project, because I
can't do that right now. I have that kind of typical student budget.
Now I'll hunt around for the ed version here. Maybe we got it at my
bookstore. But I don't mind buying any upgrade version for my XP
laptop. Even ultimate.

Jesse