What's the long term plan for 64 bit support?

Steven Edwards winehacker at gmail.com
Wed May 2 20:54:50 CDT 2007

On 5/2/07, Scott Ritchie <scott at open-vote.org> wrote:
> In the (distant) future, will we support building Wine with both 64 bit
> and 32 bit libraries, and then the same Wine installation will run both
> 64 bit and 32 bit apps?  As I understand it, this is the way Windows
> does in its 64 bit versions.
>

> I ask because there's a question of how to name the Wine packages for
> the 64 bit distribution - there's a standard of naming 32 bit packages
> something like "wine32", but if we're eventually going to have a unified
> multiarch package then we can still go with just keeping it as "wine"

Its an interesting question. Do we rebuild everything twice and
package it once? What if you've got a 64bit app that expects to be
able to CreateProcess on a win32 application for legacy purposes and
let the Windows loader figure it out? How is wineserver going to
handle that? I agree with making separate packages like wine32 and
wine64 as we try very hard to emulate mingw32 when it comes to source
porting so it makes since to have the package name and platform names
follow the same standard.

--
Steven Edwards