DInput mouse - where to go from here?

Christoph Frick frick at sc-networks.de
Thu Sep 27 01:04:30 CDT 2007

On Thu, Sep 27, 2007 at 04:48:23AM +0000, L. Rahyen wrote:

> On Thursday September 27 2007 04:07, Vitaliy Margolen wrote:
> > The point I'm trying to make is: can we once put our "right ways of
> > doing things" aside and fix something that never worked before? And
> > fix it _for good_!
> I strongly agree here with Vitaliy.  Personally I think that using
> evdev for this purpose IS the "right way". Yes it will not work with
> remote X but Windows doesn't support this too (as far as I know at
> least). WINE purpose is to conform with Windows behavior.  Therefore
> use of evdev will be correct.  Even if above isn't true (I think it
> is) full support of remote X by dinput component isn't something
> useful for about 100% of users anyway.  Of course everything above is
> just my opinion.

on the other hand what is the use of playing a game over a remote
machine? or are there apps, that suffer from this too? i can only figure
out two things:

- running a game server (unlikely one uses a direct X session - maybe
  only for games that need a client to configure the server)

- play multiplayer games on one machine exporting it to the network
  (i doubt many do this - excepcially with windows games; it is more
  likely the other way around: host a linux game to a buddy with a
  windows notebook)

one other concern i have is compatibility with other platforms. wine
runs more or less fine at least on freebsd and osx - and others.  so we
keep the "old" code around, right?

in general i would like to point out, that we have already similar stuff
going on with the joystick drivers. the /dev/js joystick was/is(?) not
useable for serious sims, due to its dead zone coming from somewhere in
the kernel. so the /dev/input option is there - linux only i asume -
which works great.

so if the "evdev" path is a choice one can choose at compile time or
even by config: go for it! even if unofficial - the gamers out there are
used to hack stuff into wine to make their favourite games work
_at_once_ after patches or after release - no matter if they break
windows comptibility or other in their wine instance.

--
cu